Thursday, December 23, 2010

Love At First Slip...

I've made the switch: I left my original doctors and headed 50 feet down the building complex to another practice. Every doctor that goes to this particular location is the potential Baby J.-2 delivery doctor; whereas I was only seeing one of the possible seven at the other place. That was reason enough for me to consider switching, but it was meeting Dr. Thomas that convinced me.

17 Weeks

Despite a veeeeeeeery long wait to see the good doctor, I can say that it was honestly worth it. Due to my sleepless nights, I took advantage of the quiet time in the exam room, AKA: I fell asleep on the table in those fancy paper nightgowns! When Dr. Thomas came in the room, I was so startled, I sat up faster than I have in the last 24 months. Suffice to say those paper nighties are not equipped for such sudden movements...my left boob slipped out! Thankfully that was the first and last of the uncomfortable encounters.

18 Weeks

We talked about the history of VBACs, why they were eventually "outlawed" for moms who had had one C-section, why the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists then changed its mind, and why today most women who have the choice opt for a repeat section. Dr. Thomas even admitted that it's much more convenient for the doctors' schedule to perform a C-section rather than wait for a woman to labor and then push; I told him to clear his calendar in early May! Then the man said something that no one has ever said to me: "Good for you for trusting the natural process of birth." He actually made me feel empowered and a little less insane for wanting the VBAC so badly.


19 Weeks

He was very honest explaining that I may end up in the same situation as with Brady, and even said that my size may play a factor in the whole process. He said an 8 pound, 3 ounce baby for a 5 foot nothing gal is no small feat. But my overall physical health (he was very happy with my 100/60 blood pressure!) and my determination make me a good VBAC candidate; the fact that I made it to 10 centimeters and pushed for 3 hours the first time around, however, leaves room for doubt. He said our best case scenario is if I go into labor a little early, having my body start the process naturally and making for a smaller baby. Only time will tell! The bottom line is that he and the other doctors in the practice--one of whom who has had a successful VBAC--are all supportive and will do everything in their power to give me the birth experience I want and, most of all, can handle. Needless to say, I'm madly in love with Dr. Thomas.

20 Weeks...and growing!


Brady is still pretty clueless about the baby, but I'm sure once he/she is here sucking up all of the attention and space, he'll be all too aware of his new brother or sister! We had our 20-week ultrasound this past weekend and Baby J-2 is developing perfectly. The shots of her brain, heart, spine, face, etc. were all clear as day; the technician even commented that if every fetus were that cooperative, her job would be much easier! Apparently, the gender was also quite clear, but as you know, we're not going to find out...sort of. The ultrasound was burned to a DVD for us and I've been studying the dang thing every day since Saturday. I've gone so far as to send still shots to my Mommy Friends and compare the "crotch shots" to others I've found online. It's becoming a sick, sick obsession and Zach wants no part of it. He is quite amused that, despite my persistent perusals, I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at! Grandma Barb predicted a girl in the beginning of the pregnancy, but because we've pretty much agreed on a girl's name (just like last time!), Mother Nature will probably grace us with another boy. Regardless of gender, I just hope this baby is as healthy and as happy as his/her big brother.

So handsome with his holiday hair cut and Christmas PJs!

Speaking of Sir Brady, he has been so silly lately! He makes these faces that I've dubbed "Zach looks;" he half closes his eyes and then looks at us out of these little slits like he's making some important judgment call. Zach gives me the same looks when I say something he doesn't agree with! Brady is also channeling E.T.; he wants to touch finger tips and say, "E.T.!" about 23948324 times a day. If it's not E.T., he wants to shake hands. Every time we sit down to eat, he extends his hand to everyone around the table. If we're in a restaurant, he extends his hand to anyone within a 10 foot radius...
"The Look"



A sleepy E.T. attempt


Even though poor Brady will be coughing for Christmas (he's a little under the weather with a cold), we're hoping he'll still enjoy the festivities this year. We are SUPER excited to share this special time of the season with our little man; it's true what they say: the holidays are so much better with kids around! Can't wait until this time next year when we have a crazy almost-three-year-old running a muck and a seven-month-old wriggling around the place! Here's wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Pre-holiday hair cut, but still so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment