I blinked and you turned 3. It's exciting and sad all at the same time. I know you're still too young to understand this, and that's why, when I started to tear up while singing to you this morning, I just said I had an eyelash in my eye :) You're a very, very sensitive little boy; I couldn't make you worry on your special day!
| You loved the slushie machine |
This past year has been wonderful. We've watched you grow into your role as big brother with Ella and like all transitions, you've handled it seamlessly. You're now sleeping in your big boy bed (with the aid of 3 blankets, 2 nightlights, 1 cup of water, and various toys--you have very specific requirements for bedtime!), and my favorite times are spent snuggling before you fall asleep, telling each other silly stories that you insist begin with "Once upon a time." You're a funny little guy, too! Just the other day I said a bad smell was following us and you informed me that "poop doesn't have legs." I think you're going to be witty just like your Mommy ;-)
I honestly cannot remember a time that you weren't speaking in complete sentences. Your vocabulary is impressive, and your memory is unparalleled. I often tell YOU things so that you will remind ME, and it works every time! You're a good helper, setting the table, getting things out of the refrigerator, and closing doors so Ella can't get into rooms and wreak havoc. I don't know what I would do without my little helper. Ironically, there is a Rolling Stones song called "Mother's Little Helper" and even though it's not at all about a boy helping his mom, you think it is so we listen to it a lot. :)
| Uncle Mike's birthday gift to you: a bounce house for your party! |
You have had a golf club in your hands from the moment you could stand up. We thought it was a phase that would pass within a few months, but you're still "ripping balls" all day, every day. You've gotten so good and so strong that you're only allowed to putt in the house now; your full swing is for outside only! You know the different clubs and all about sand traps and water hazards, and you're completely content watching the Masters on TV. (P.S. Mommy is not a fan of golf on television; it's boring. However, if you choose to play it instead of, say, football, I am A-OK with that. Golf is the concussion-free sport.) This year for your birthday, Aunt Jen and Uncle Doug got you your very first set of REAL clubs and the black and gold bag to boot. You were in heaven when you opened up that gift--they really hit the jackpot with that purchase!
| PGA's future contender! |
If you're not golfing, you're reading or listening to music. You like to dance, too! You make up your own crazy song-and-dance and sing to us. Usually in the nude. My favorite number so far is one about knocking on nuts because it makes absolutely no sense, but it sure does make me laugh: "Knock on ONE nut! Knock on TWO nuts! Knock on LOTS (pronounced "yots") of nuts!" I think the refrain goes something like, "Poke mine eye in the face! Throw mineself into the ocean!" We're pretty sure you're insane, but those big blue eyes make up for it.
You love learning, especially numbers. You and Dad used to do a number of the day, but you've outgrown it a bit which I think makes Dad sad. He always wants to teach you something new, and you're always very attentive with him. I think you'll do well in pre-school this fall. I can't believe you're going to pre-school! I bet I have "yots" of eyelashes in "mine" eyes the first day I drop you off. Sigh.
One of your favorite playmates is Grandma Terri. She has always been amazing with you. She gives you her undivided attention and has introduced you to some of your favorite music and songs: "Rock Around the Clock," "Blueberry Hill," and some blues tunes. You're quite eclectic for a toddler. I appreciate this until you force us to listen to the same 3 songs on a John Mellancamp CD while confined in the car. I guess it's better than "The Wheels on the Bus..."
Everyone who knows you, loves you. They marvel at your personality, your intelligence, and your golf swing! I think it goes without saying that all of your grandparents are head over heels in love with you, and you'll always have a special place in their heart as "the first." That's not to take anything away from Ella (or subsequent siblings, tee hee!), but you were all of our "firsts." We've learned so much from you, especially how to love. I have never felt a more real or pure or intense love in my life than the moment I laid eyes on you. My love for you has only grown and today, on your birthday, I want you to know that I will do anything for you. I will always support you. Unless you bring home some skank who wants you to move to the Netherlands or something. Then I will lock you up in our basement. But I'll make sure you have your golf clubs your favorite snacks, sweet pickles and "special" raisins.
I hope I tell you I love you enough. I hope not a day goes by that I don't tell you how proud you make me (and the rest of our family). You are a smart kid. You're kind. You're empathetic. You're adorable. And you're mine. Happy Birthday, Baby!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment