
Last week brought some snowy weather, cold temperatures, and a Baby J. first: his/her heart beat! My mom and I went to the appointment (where I found out no internal exams are necessary until, like, week 36! What great news!!), and BAM! A minute after walking into the room and lying down, I was listening to my baby's healthy, strong heart beat...or at least I thought I was...
Turns out, I was getting emotional over the sound of sonar. Not so much my baby's heart beat, but the tears flowed! After the doctor pointed out WHICH sound I was supposed to listen to, I did hear Baby J.'s heart beat and it WAS healthy and strong and wonderful :). The doctor also said I'm doing a nice job; I'm a "good house" for the baby. My blood pressure, blood count, weight gain, and other tests have good results, and the baby is growing just as he/she should be. This, of course, is code for EAT EVERYTHING YOU SEE! I know this because that's what my belly is telling me to do: I have an insatiable appetite and pretty much embarrassed myself at Nonna's birthday party when I ate almost as much as my husband. I'm also having a hard time buttoning the last two buttons on my winter coat. I'd like to pretend it's because the sweaters underneath are so bulky, but let's be honest: I'm getting big! It's almost fun because I feel like Tommy Boy's fat man in a little coat when I'm all bundled up. At least I can laugh at myself, right?!
Today's title (So close...yet so far away!) refers to the fact that in about 3 weeks, we'll have the ultrasound that can confirm the baby's sex. That's SUPER exciting...except for the fact that my husband is SUPER adamant about it being a surprise. I realize this is no NEW news, but I think I was hoping that once the opportunity presented itself, he would change his mind. No such luck. So even though we'll be looking at the naked child and perusing his/her crotch-region (So close...), I am forbidden to ask for "gender confirmation" (yet so far away!). I have, however, gained some "inside information;" I know I'm looking for either the "hamburger or the hot dog." Zach is convinced that even if I do look, I'm not trained well enough to identify this ever-important part, but I have confidence...or arrogance...or naivety...that I can! February 21st shall tell the tale...
Other than that, I'm still feeling glorious. I've never been so calm and chill (even in light of recent HORRID events, like the tragic car accident that claimed the young life of one of my former students); I feel like I'm on something, but it's completely natural (and legal!)! One physical complaint--if there had to be one--would be my left hip. I really haven't gained that much weight (maybe 5 pounds?), but my hip bothers me really badly, especially at night which makes the whole "sleep in the fetal position" kinda difficult! But I'm using the maternity body pillow my kind brother got me as a Christmas present, and it's helped. I'm just not used to sleeping on my side; I'm always on my back or my stomach! I'll actually wake up (normally, close to 1 am--strange!) and realize I'm out of position and stress about it so badly that I lose, on average, 3 hours of sleep a night! Clearly, I'm my own worst enemy! Well, me and my bladder...that thing is STILL not my friend...
Until next time...thanks for reading :) Oh and this entry is dedicated to Nonna, who checks in faithfully to our blogs! Thanks, Nonna!!
No comments:
Post a Comment