Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 7th Post: R.I.P. MJ

So, I'm a little bitter today. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep, the fact that my own weight is going to buckle my knees, or if it's all these supposed Michael fans crawling out of the woodwork oh-so conveniently!! I'm not saying people shouldn't mourn or be sad or even interested, but seriously--where have they been from day one?! I've been an M.J. fan since I was able to walk; I used to fall asleep to his records in my Smurf sleeping bag in my dining room, refusing to go to my bed until I heard the entire Thriller album. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with his music still in my head, and I even named my baby brother after the man! I never once doubted his innocence and always empathized with his plight: crazy dad, zero childhood, and a truly sad existence in the limelight. He was talented beyond belief, tried to make a normal life for himself, but could never find peace. And now he's gone and has finally found the peace for which he had been forever searching, and that is exactly why I am so irritated by all these people who have just now decided they care. The memorial was moving, I'm sure; the performances were memorable, okay; but where in the world was everyone before his death?? I guess I'm of the mind set that if you couldn't admit you were a fan when he was here, if you couldn't appreciate his contribution--albeit odd at times--to the world, why care so much now? I am utterly sick of hearing about it and watching it because all I see are people who, just a few months ago, slammed him in the media now bawling their eyes out. Puh-lease. And perhaps those are my hormones, but more likely, it's my "zero tolerance" policy for hypocrisy.

I am now stepping down from my soapbox. I clearly need a nap :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment