I'm also going to teach an SAT Prep course for Penn State New Kensington at Kiski High School. I miss the interaction with the kiddos, so I'm really looking forward to it. The course is only a few weeks long, so by the time I remember how annoying teenagers are, it will be over! There is also a possibility that I will tutor a foreign exchange student from Taiwan. This was Zach's idea, which makes me wonder if he's trying to get rid of me...
| Me and the hubby at our last wedding of the year! |
We went to Magee for the Meet and Greet with the midwives. I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be mostly because the facilities and opportunities are the same as when delivering with a doctor. I understand midwives have a different perspective and philosophy of pregnancy and childbirth, and while I tend to lean toward theirs more than the doctors', I just couldn't rationalize switching from my current practice. For instance, the demand for midwives is growing, but the number of physicians in their practice is not. There were 4 women in labor at the same time the night we met with them, and they told us that only one midwife was caring for all 4! Plus, I really didn't want to have to drive to Oakland each month (and then each week!) for my appointments. I see a midwife and different doctors in Fox Chapel now and they're all great, so I think I'll just stick with them and roll the dice when it comes time to deliver. I'm glad I got the chance to meet the midwives, though; I've been curious about how they function with the hospital so I'm grateful we went. Zach was mostly impressed that they all shaved their legs and didn't practice voodoo. He was clearly confused about what midwives do...
While we're on the subject of babies, it pains me to share that Brady is more of a little man than a baby any more. I suppose that's what happens when a kid is a "toddler," but I wish someone would have prepared me for how capable and smart these little people are. Just this morning when he was squatting and grunting up a storm in the living room, I asked him what he was doing. He answered very matter-of-factly that he was "Poopin." It was really our first conversation if you think about it!! I wasn't ready for it.
In addition to his budding communication skills, I've noticed that my Baby Signs efforts were not all in vain. I give a lot of the credit to my mother-in-law because she was adamant about using the signs with him as well, but he uses the "eat" and "all done" signs on a regular basis. The others have fallen by the wayside, but since we only taught him 4, we're batting 500 and that ain't too bad!
Zach, Brady, and I went to dinner with my parents last Friday and from a table next to ours, we could feel this older couple staring at us. We knew they were taking in the sights and sounds of Brady, but it was pretty creepy! At one point, I made eye contact with them and smiled, so they took that as an invitation to ask what is, to date, the most offensive question regarding our son: "He's so handsome! Is he adopted?" WHAT?!! Even if he were, why would they ask within ear shot of the kid? Zach was mostly insulted because they prefaced their question with, "He's so handsome." Like we're not attractive people? Zach's currently rethinking his future of modeling dress shirts and ties in JCPenney ads...
| Then again, this is what the kid looked like when we were asked if he was adopted... |
| Before bopping her with his "Bait-bah" bat... |
| Giving love to Lani after bopping her... |
Brady was once again happy to have so much attention. He's the first baby in our group of friends (that is, until Sandy pops which could happen ANY DAY NOW!!), and everyone is really great with him. Even Uncle Ahren, several beers deep:
Aunt Jess loaned Brady her headband. It didn't last long, but at least we got one picture:
Yesterday, we had dinner with Nonna and Nonno. They treated us to their famous ravioli soup--a family favorite! It's been a busy but beautiful past few weeks! When it's time for the weekend, we're always ready for some relaxing and we're fortunate to have such great family and friends to join us. Although, not all of us can stay awake to enjoy it......
| Here I thought I was the sleepy, pregnant one... |
No comments:
Post a Comment