Monday, February 28, 2011

19 Months and 30 Weeks!

Brady turned 19 months-old on February 26th and we're pretty shocked that that amount of time has passed and it feels like only yesterday we brought him home from the hospital.

Hangin' out in the hamper?


What's even more shocking is that in about 10 weeks, we'll bring home his little brother or sister. I used to make fun of my dad when he would say, "The older you get, the faster time goes," but I so get it now! I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with age, though; I think it has to do with having children. Five years ago, everything Zach and I did was about US; today, everything we do is about Brady. It's very easy to lose track of time when there's a little one in your life who makes your world go 'round. That's not to say we've lost sight of ourselves or of one another, but rather than look in the mirror and think about trying a new eye shadow, I now look to make sure I don't have any oatmeal bits from breakfast aftermath stuck to my face. And what's weird is that neither Zach or I would change it for the world.

30 Weeks!


Who puts a child in a hamper? Hint: his legs and slippers are in the background...


Brady and I went shopping today for his Easter outfit and a little something for his sibling. Rather than allow my "instincts" to do the shopping this time, I wised up and made this purchase:

:-)


The only thing more adorable than these two outfits is possibly Brady's suit, but you'll have to wait until Easter to see that one :-)

 ***********************************************************************************************

I've heard of kids doing things repetitively or preferring one thing to another, but Brady has taken this whole repetitive preference thing to a new level. He has grown accustom to a very particular schedule of morning events from which he will not deviate unless physically removed from the premises. Here's what a typical morning now consists of for us:

* Brady wakes, yelling out either what he wants for breakfast or announcing that he has made a poop.

* The boy enjoys a breakfast of oatmeal with raisins, half a banana, and milk (he seriously eats more than I do).

* During breakfast, we say good morning to Jesus (courtesy of our Last Supper painting), say "Cheers!" while clanking our glasses (okay, cups...) together, and practice the alphabet and numbers on his place mat.

* After cleaning up the breakfast scene, Brady goes to the refrigerator and names the remaining magnetic letters that he has yet to lose or stuff some place for all of eternity.

* Using that bit of brain power requires refueling, and Brady promptly requests Cheerios. At first I tried to fight him on this; how could he seriously still be hungry?! But it's not like he's asking for a bowl of sugar, so I give the poor starving child some Cheerios.


Piggy.



* And then the real demands start: "Mickey."

Mesmerized

* I would like to please make a request that the On Demand Powers That Be update their kids' shows on a more regular basis. At this time in our morning routine, Brady insists he watch the same four episodes of The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse right in a row.  He is no longer interested in the new episodes and far be it from me to introduce a DVD with extended versions. Nope, he wants the SAME, SAME, SAME and he wants them when he wants them. As soon as the hotdog song comes on, he's asking for the next episode. While I realize allowing him to watch all of these right in a row might make me the worst mother in the world, I have to admit that I enjoy the bit of predictability to my day and the opportunity to be productive. Judge if you must.

Getting his Mickey fix from afar


In good news, Jen and I celebrated her 30th birthday in style, with a spa date and brunch, and both were heavenly. I honestly don't know which I enjoyed more: the raisin French toast at Pamela's or the expectant mother massage...

In not so good news, we found out that Uncle Larry will soon undergo chemotherapy for lung cancer.  We wish him the very best and keep him in our prayers. Brady enjoyed some Uncle Larry snuggles during his last visit, and we hope that they can snuggle some more in the very near future.

Nap time snuggles

No comments:

Post a Comment