Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"You're One Crazy Mama"

I had my bi-weekly check-up today and those exact words came from my doctor: "You're one crazy mama!" I guess I should probably take them as a compliment, but they also left me feeling a little leery about where this doctor really stands on my VBAC hopes.

Brady gives Bella hugs


The appointment started out with me waiting in the exam room for almost an hour; half of that time I spent dozing off so I didn't mind the waiting all that much! By the time nutty Dr. Kremser graced me with his presence, I could tell he was running behind and really just wanted to get me out of the way. That was enough motivation for me to take my sweet, sweet time when asking questions. Mwahahahaha :-)

I should give credit where credit is due, though; Dr. K. complimented me more than once today: he's very pleased with my gradual weight gain (he has apparently forgotten the "Eight Pound Month"), my low, steady blood pressure, and my positive attitude. He remarked that it's very obvious I love being pregnant, and I was encouraged by those words. That said, in each compliment there was a condition: I need to keep the remaining of my weight gain to the "bare minimum;" my blood pressure is impressive seeing as how I'm "high risk;" and finally, he countered my positive attitude with the now infamous "you're crazy" quote. He actually asked me if I still wanted to "give the VBAC a try." Ummm...YES. I of course felt the need to politely correct him: I will not try for the VBAC; I will succeed with the VBAC. This is when he asked if I had been a cheerleader in high school because I'm, like, so totally positive. I hate cheerleaders, so...


Ready for spring training!

Dr. K. then told me he wanted to talk to me realistically about my plans to have a VBAC. He sat down on his little swivel chair so I knew he was serious. Then he started asking me all of the questions he had asked me months before: how far along was I when I went into labor with Brady? (went into labor on my due date) Did I fully dilate? (yes) Did I get to push? (for 3 hours) Where was the baby's head? (right there) And on and on and on. I was about to remind him that I have ALREADY EXPLAINED THIS TO HIM when he looked at my charts and saw it all written there. He concluded that with my "cheerleader-type outlook" and the fact that there is no physical reason impeding my delivering a baby, I am a "perfect VBAC candidate." Finally--a light at the end of the Dr. Kremser tunnel!

How cute is this kid?!

My next appointment is on the 15th and this time, I'm venturing to the Monroeville office to meet Dr. Anne Shaheen. She is the practice's personal VBAC success story, so I know she'll be in my corner and not downplay the mind-body connection that Dr. K. mocks as cheerleader-eque. I'm also going to offer her one trillion dollars to be on call when I go into labor. I'll let you know how that works out.

Needs yet another hair cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment