Sunday, June 28, 2009

Childbirth Preparation Classes!

It's official: Zach and I are graduates of our childbirth prep classes! Granted, it was only the "weekend intensive course," which means 3 hours on Friday and 7 on Saturday, but after 10 straight hours of "intensive preparation," I think it's only fair to say we have successfully completed the requirements; therefore, we are graduates.

I personally have graduated to a completely different stage in my pregnancy, one I've not yet experienced, and for lack of a better title, this new stage is called "Holy Crap." Don't misunderstand me, I'm still very excited and feeling wonderful, but are you aware of how babies are born? About the descending into the pelvis, all of the dilation stages, the pain that makes walking, talking, and thinking next to impossible feats? Oh, yes, THIS is the level to which I have graduated and I have no choice but to be a bit anxious/nervous/scared out of my mind for the whole process to happen to my cervix. Then again, women do this every day and have been doing this every day for years and years and years. They've given birth in fields, in hay, on floors, in cars, in elevators, in water--so clearly, I CAN do this. The question that now remains is: will I be able to hold it together? Because even though the videos and the information and the diagrams honestly did scare me, I'm more convinced than ever that I want a natural birth. There are just too many side-effects and inconveniences with most of the medical interventions. However, if I could get hooked up with a walking epidural, I just may muse that option over a bit, but alas, Magee does not offer the walking epidural. Such is life.

I've had another doctor appointment, my last before the internal exams start again. Whoa! I can't believe how quickly this pregnancy has gone! But my blood pressure is still "stellar" at a 110/60, my weight gain has been normal, and all other vitals for the baby are great. It's also been established that what's kicking my right rib is, in fact, a leg or foot because the baby's bum is right below my rib. That means the head is positioned for its "descent (or dropping) into the pelvis." Let the good times roll :o)

In other news, my childhood hero Michael Jackson has unexpectedly passed away. It's such a shame that Baby J. will grow up without knowing the talent of the man firsthand. Yes, he was a bit...eccentric? But he's still a huge part of what I remember about growing up--I named my brother after the man, so I clearly was a fan!! R.I.P., MJ :o(

I'm throwing around the idea of having "belly pictures" taken by a family friend, so that's exciting. I would like some bare belly shots, but of course my hormones have decided to grant me an attractive rash all over my belly. It itches like crazy and has left little red dots all over the place, so I don't know that the bare belly pics would still be an option. But I do have a few poses I'd like to try, namely one of Zach and I holding hands and the shot just includes our hands and "the baby." I've seen that done in black and white and would LOVE to have one like it of us. I figured since our wedding pictures were such a disgrace, we should at least treat ourselves to some nice pregnancy shots!!

I'm still having trouble sleeping, mostly because I'm uncomfortable, so I've decided to finally cash in on my brother's Christmas gift: a pre-natal massage. My doctor gave me the go ahead and so I am--tomorrow!

No new pics this time--maybe for the next post, we'll have our "professional belly pics!"

No comments:

Post a Comment