Wednesday, July 1, 2009

And So It Begins...

I've decided that in honor of the month of July (AKA: Baby J.'s due-date-month), I'm going to attempt to post a short blog each day. I can't promise that each day will be exciting, but I can guarantee today will at least spark your interest...as it did mine!!

July 1st Post: Surprise!
I've developed a fabulous rash on my belly, so I went to see the doctor today. I went in thinking I'd get some ointment, but came out with a lot of information I was not expecting. First of all, I had an internal exam and a test done--I thought those things were happening at my next appointment so I was not...prepared. Anyhoo--the test was simple; the information to follow was...still can't find the right word for it...surprising??? Turns out the baby has dropped to -1 centimeters, which means he/she is positioned for birth--holy crap. Once the baby has dropped to positive numbers, he/she is so far into the pelvis that there's no turning back--a good sign that he/she will not be breech. Additional surprising information includes the fact that I'm 1 centimeter dilated and 50% effaced at this point. The cervix is getting ready. Yet again--holy crap.

I'm excited and nervous and shocked and a million other emotions right now. Quite frankly, it's exhausting. I'm going to take some Benadryl in the hopes that I'll stop itching, be able to sleep for more than an hour at a time, and wake up feeling...calmer! Oh, and the rash? It's common in pregnancy, especially during the 3rd trimester; its hugely confusing medical name is abbreviated with PUPPS, and the only cure is giving birth. Guess I'm on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment