July 19th Post: Baby Surprise and a Rant!
As much as I would LOVE to post that Baby J. is here before his/her due date (SURPRISE!), I cannot. That part of the title refers to my cousins, Rob and Maria, sharing the news that they are pregnant with their 3rd child. The reason this is such a surprise is because they are 43 and 40 years old, just gave us all of their baby gear that they wanted to get rid of, and Maria was about to schedule the operation to have her tubes tied!! I guess the family is reacting with mix emotions, but I say any baby is exciting news! Their oldest child isn't more than 5 years old, so I think this is perfect timing :o) We will, of course, have to return the baby gear, but not until they need it which will be sometime in April. Two babies in the family--how fun!!
We celebrated Mike's birthday with the extended family today. It's always fun to get together except when one of my relatives (who shall remain nameless) wears her Mean Hat to our family functions. And so my rant begins...
For instance, the day we told my side of the family we were expecting, everyone was in tears--including my father--and this particular relative chose to leave the room and sit by herself in the living room. When asked why, we were told she was having a "bad day." Yeah, well, we were having a GREAT day--feel free to be happy for us for about a minute. Since our announcement, and especially since I've been showing, she's opted to call me things like chubby and fatty. Fine, I can take a joke. What I can't take ANY MORE of is HER telling ME about MY pregnancy: how I'll be feeling, what I should expect, warning my husband that I'm going to be unmanageable when the baby comes, that I shouldn't have gone on vacation because I had the potential to ruin it for everyone else, that I'm welcome to swim at her place because the neighbors will think there's a whale in her pool, etc. Someone PLEASE explain to me how those with ZERO first-hand knowledge of something can justify acting like they know everything? How can she tell me what B-H contractions feel like? How can she possibly relate to my sleepless nights due to the discomfort caused by the 30+ pounds around my waist? She actually argued that women aren't pregnant for 10 months--when anyone who has read a book and/or spoken with a doctor can attest is the truth--and told me to tell my doctor that SHE is wrong because my relative is right. Man oh man--I was ready to lose it today.
If there has to be a bright side to her incessant degradation and insults, it is this: I have proven to myself (and those who are stunned that I haven't mouthed off yet!) that I have more patience than I thought. I guess it's good practice for when the little one comes, but I still have ZERO tolerance for people who talk about things that they know nothing about.
I do have an appointment tomorrow morning, though; maybe I should ask for my doctor to explain--in writing--the whole "ten month" thing. But something tells me even on official doctor's office paper with a signature and all, my relative would still maintain that she knows more than the professional and, therefore, she is right.
Fingers crossed I'm making progress--let's shoot for about 5 centimeters dilation :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment