Wednesday, March 17, 2010

More Things I've Learned from Mommying!

1. I must side-step a creaky floor board in Brady's room when I sneak in while he's sleeping. Even though a freight train wouldn't wake the child, I still feel the side-step is necessary.

2. Zach will inevitably leave the baby wipes open; therefore, I will always have to throw away the first wipe.

3. I now look forward to Brady's bath and bed time with the same enthusiasm I once had for Happy Hour on Friday with the girls!

4. Listening to Zach sing his "Lube the Boob" song as he puts lotion on Brady is, hands-down, the most hilarious thing in the world.

5. Watching Brady grow and learn kinda intimidates me! Zach and I are responsible for this little guy and how he will treat other people AND himself, how he'll feel about everything from trees to religion to animals to learning...at least for a little bit! That's just a crazy thought!

6. I would have checked myself into an insane asylum loooooong ago if it weren't for our amazing family. Special thanks to the grandparents because, without you, Brady wouldn't be as happy as he is and I wouldn't be as...calm as I am :-)

Moving from my lessons learned to Brady's: he's now pronouncing "Mama" and his N's and B's, and every so often, we'll hear a "Dadadadada" come out of him! He's also quite aware of his hands and their abilities now; he's become adept at locating his binkie (AKA: pacifier, nuk, ninny, etc.) and putting it back into his mouth. This makes Mom and Dad VERY happy, as Brady is now relying on himself at 2 am rather than screaming for us to return the bink! I even bought glow-in-the-dark ones so that helps. Yay for progress!

Speaking of 2 am, we haven't had too many of those meetings recently thanks to the cry-it-out method we had to enforce a few weeks ago. Poor Brady was just killin' us with his waking every few hours, and we knew for the sake of our happy home, we had to do something! One night, we put him down around 8 pm. Almost immediately, he started wailing. Zach and I waited patiently at the bottom of the steps, hoping he would stop. When he didn't, we looked at each other and just decided it was now or never. We retreated into the office and did some work while Brady screamed for about a half an hour. It was horrible, yes; but it was effective! The little guy hasn't woken up once since we let him yell his little head off! We're pretty fortunate, too, because from what I heard, the cry-it-out method usually needs a few nights of practice. Thankfully, Brady is a fast learner :-)

While we have made some gains with the sleeping, we have not made many in the way of his crawling. Just like with rolling over, I think he knows we expect some action, and as a result, he has boycotted doing ANYTHING while on his stomach or hands and knees. In fact, when we lay him on his stomach, he immediately rolls to his back and stays put as if to say, "I am not ready and you can't make me!" Apparently he's a late mover-and-shaker, which is fine by me. Here's hoping he's like Grandma Terri and opts out of the crawling and just starts walking!

Brady's been a busy bee the last few weeks. As the weather has been perfect for walks, we're out and about on a regular basis. He's quite social (he still really enjoys the ladies, which you'll see in his choice of reading material...), and we had another playdate with little Lani. The two finally acknowledged one another and Lani stayed awake for the date which was a plus! In the near future, we have many places to go for Easter, a trip to Virginia for Zach's friend's wedding, and in June, a vacation to South Carolina. Here's hoping Brady continues to enjoy car rides, otherwise he could make our travel plans quite difficult!

Zach left for Florida this morning, so I'm here with the babe and the cold my husband shared with me. I'll be mooching dinner (more than usual) from my parents, and hopefully getting more work done since Zach won't be around to distract me! He already called to let me know he made it there, so I now pray he has nice weather...only if we have it here, of course :-) Brady officially turns 8 months this Friday, so I'll post those pics for ya in a few days.

Special shout-out to Nonno who is home from the hospital, but still not feeling 100%. We had hoped to visit, but first Zach was sick with a cold and now I've caught it, so it looks like Easter might be our first reunion! I'll prepare for our visit with some meds and a nice nap....starting now!

No comments:

Post a Comment