| Welcome to Brady's office |
Even though our calendars won't flip over to November for another couple of weeks, and even though my actual (30th...) birthday isn't until the 14th, I was surprised with an early celebration this weekend!
Apparently Zach had been planning this shindig for months, and his attention to every detail made his preparation obvious.
| Daddy and Brady on the boat |
We met Derek and Kim at their place, and then made our way to Station Square where I was told we were going to eat at Buca di Beppo (I was so prepared, too; brought a coupon and everything!!) When we started walking in the direction of the Gateway Clipper fleets, I was a little confused. Derek covered it up by saying he and Kim wanted to surprise us with a dinner cruise. Meanwhile, Zach had managed to get our immediate families (including Brady!!) into the city and onto one of the boats, and they were there waiting for us when we boarded! When they yelled "Surprise!" and I saw the birthday balloons, I really thought we were celebrating Terri's birthday which is this Tuesday. It took me a while to realize everyone was there for me!
| Parenting at its finest |
The cruise was very...entertaining! We spent the majority of the time enjoying the sights and sounds of those who were dressed in prom attire, sweating on the dance floor, and/or singing in the band. The food was good, the company was great, and unbeknownst to me, the night was just getting started!
I had gone to the bathroom only to return to Zach's urgent pleas: "Get your jacket! We're getting off!" Yet again I was confused, but obliged because I was kinda enjoying the whole surprise thing :-) I panicked for a minute when I realized it was getting late and Brady would need to get to bed, but the grandparents assured me they would handle it. So off the boat I went with Zach, Derek, and Kim, and into the casino they led me!
As we walked in, I joked that had I known we were coming, I would have rubbed my friend Lisa's head for luck--the girl wins EVERYTHING! Surprise number two: Lisa WAS there, along with so many others! Zach had invited (and recruited some help in inviting!) my college roommates, former colleagues, and our very best friends. He even reserved a little lounge for us where we (well, everyone but me!) had drinks and feasted on the biggest cake I'd ever seen in my life! Even though I didn't win anything (lost almost everything is more like it...), most everyone else went home with heavy pockets. My gal pals took pictures; once they give them to me, I'll post them!
The place started clearing out around 12:30 when I realized our poor dogs had been cooped up inside since 4:00 that afternoon. I asked Zach if he had thought to ask anyone to let them out since we were gone so late and he just smiled. Surprise number three: not only had he arranged for someone to take care of the mutts, but he booked us a gorgeous room at the Hilton (the hotel formerly known as the Hilton!) right in the city. We have to give credit to Derek for this one, though; he got us one heck of a deal AND he upgraded our room to a little suite. It was WONDERFUL--the view wasn't too bad either!
This morning, Derek and Kim picked us up (they also drove to Station Square, dropped us at the hotel the night before, and taxied us around the city today!!) and we went to the Strip for breakfast at Pamela's. We shopped around a bit before saying our goodbyes and heading back to Sir Brady who had stayed with Zach's parents. It was such a perfect birthday surprise and I am incredibly grateful for everyone who was a part of it. It really makes a girl feel loved to know that so many of my close friends and family were willing to spend the evening making my birthday special. Even if it was a month early :-)
Zach really outdid himself, though. He told me he wanted to incorporate all of my favorite things into one night: my family, our friends, and sleep!! From arranging help for Brady, the dogs, and transportation, contacting and inviting everyone, and keeping every single facet of the night a surprise, he certainly impressed me! He even thought to bring a thermometer since I wasn't feeling well earlier in the day. Well, that's an understatement: I was so sick I almost didn't get out of bed at all on Saturday; that would have put quite a damper on the evening! Fortunately, my fever was no match for two Tylenol (OK'ed by the doctor, of course!) and gallons of orange juice, so I was able to enjoy the thoughtful, generous, and successfully surprising night my never-ceases-to-amaze-me husband planned. I was pretty exhausted today, but the Party Planner was down for the count within five minutes of our drive home :-)
| Sleepy Zachary |
In addition to my birthday-come-early, Zach and I both were lucky recipients of a Grandma Barb surprise: she has concluded that we're having a girl! When we were pregnant with Brady, Grandma Barb was the only one to adamantly believe we were having a little boy. As many times as I told her she was wrong, she smiled a knowing smile and turns out--she was right!
| Brady signing, "More!" |
| Brady signing, "All done!" |
Speaking of our new addition, we're making room for HER by making a room for BRADY! while it's been fun picking out little boy "stuff," it's not been so fun cleaning out the spare bedroom, but we are making progress. Hopefully the next post will be full of those "progress" pictures, but until then, feast your eyes upon Our Mess!
No comments:
Post a Comment