Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mr. Poop Pants and Miss Baby Acne

Where to begin? Ella is almost a month old and unfortunately sporting some baby acne, one of my gal pals had her baby boy, another is expecting hers within the next two weeks, the end of school year is quickly approaching, and Brady pooped on our bedroom floor. Allow me to explain that last one...



Brady has been diligent about telling us when he has "poop pants," so we're thinking potty training might be on the horizon. The other day, though, he claimed he had poop pants, but didn't, so we put him on his frog potty to see what would happen. Zach went into the bathroom with him and when nothing happened after a few minutes, he took Brady off the pot and allowed him to run around. (Without a diaper or pants on). The urge hit and the boy did end up making a #2...right on our bedroom floor. Apparently, by the time Zach got to him, Brady had picked up his poo and was inspecting it intently. G.R.O.S.S. Thankfully, Zach took care of the mess, put the boy back on the potty, and then--drum roll please!--Brady pooped AND peed in his frog! We praised him up and down, but he hasn't shown interest in repeating the act since. Who would have thought the kid and not the dogs would be crapping on the floor!!!



Since we're on the subject of Brady, I have to brag for a minute: we were "playing school" today and I was drawing different things for him to identify. When I drew a stop sign, I expected him to identify it as such, but instead he said, "Octagon, mom." Like it was so obvious! He's also been talking in more complete sentences (that omit verbs) these days. Some of his favorites: "Ella's eyes open;" "Mom and Dad and Ella and Brady right here;" and anything that relates to the weather. He likes us to know that there is sunshine and blue skies or dark clouds and rain. He's also informed me that dark clouds bring storms. Sometimes I think he's smarter than me...



Now that I've bragged, I've gotta be honest: having a toddler and an infant is HARD! Brady seems so much more dependent upon me even though realistically, he hasn't changed. My time and attention have shifted from being 100% on him to being shared with his sister. I feel so bad when he brings me a ball and says, "Mom bounce it," and I can't because I don't have a third hand. He's pretty understanding (and easily distracted...), but it doesn't lesson the guilt any. And this past weekend, we had a very close call to a real injury: Brady tripped off of my aunt's sidewalk and fell backward. He missed smashing his head off of the concrete by a mere inch and while he was over it pretty quickly (a bloody elbow and an aching back resulted), I couldn't stop thinking of what could have been. I realize this is just the beginning of his boo-boos, but if I never feel that helpless, out of control fear again in my life it will be too soon! I just wanted to shove him back in my uterus and keep him safe forever. Okay, that may be a bit exaggerated, but I'm sure you get the picture.




Miss Ella is doing very well! She had her well baby check-up today and she's gaining and growing wonderfully. This is a huge load off because we can't measure how much she's eating like we could with Brady. That's difficult for me, Type A Personality. Ella currently weighs 8 pounds, 13 ounces (she was born 8.3) and is 22 inches long (born 21 inches). I hope the acne is treatable and goes away soon; the pediatrician told us to put 1% hydrocortisone cream on it 1 - 3 times a day. We're going to start out with once a day and see how she tolerates it. I also hope it is just acne and not a case of eczema. Our good friends Jen and Doug have had a really tough time with their little girl Lani and her eczema. It's been so hard watching them deal with it; I can't imagine what it would be like to walk in their shoes. Let's just keep our fingers crossed for Ella!



I'm very grateful that nursing is going so well; it's quite convenient I must say! I do not miss hooking up to the pump like a cow in the middle of the night! Speaking of night, Ella is a pretty decent sleeper. A normal night usually consists of putting her down between 10:30 and 11, she wakes around 3 or 4 to eat, and goes back down pretty easily. However, she does wake fairly early (around 6 or 7) and is ready to roll. I'm not a fan of this rise-and-shine so early stuff, but I know someone who is and his last day of work is Tuesday :-)






Our good friend and talented carpenter, Andrew, is starting our deck this weekend. We are very excited for this, especially since the materials came in under our anticipated budget! I'm hoping this means Mr. Jankowski will agree to finally let me get my shop on for some baby girl clothes! 



Another slide show for you--I just can't get enough of my adorable kiddos!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a free slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment